Friday, August 10, 2012

China in my plate 2/2


Prawns and Fish Fried Rice

Serves Two

Preparation time:
Cutting/Chopping – 5mins
Deveining the prawns – 30mins
Preparing the marinade & marinating time – 35mins
Cooking time – 7-10mins

Ingredients:
Rice – One large bowl from yesterday’s leftover
Fish – Sheri (local Qatari fish) – 50gms
Prawns (frozen) – 50gms
White Onion (medium size) – 1/4
Spring Onion – 1no
Capsicum – Yellow – 1/8
Capsicum – Green – 1/8
Ginger chopped – 1tbsp
Garlic chopped – 1tbsp
Green Chilli – 1no
Lemon juice – 1/2tsp
Mixed Vegetables (Frozen – Carrots, Green Peas and Corn) – 20gms
Soy Sauce – ½tsp
Ground Black Pepper – A pinch
Sesame Oil – 2tbsp
Vinegar 1/8tsp
Salt

How I cut them:
The first and foremost task, even though the label on your frozen prawns packet says ‘cleaned and deveined’, is to check each prawn and devein by oneself. Cumbersome, but must be done.
I cut the fish into small pieces, the size same as that of the whole prawns.
I cut the chopped the vegetables into medium to small size pieces.
I chopped the chilly, garlic and ginger into small sized pieces.

How I cooked it:
I took half of the chopped chilli+garlic+ginger into a stone pounder and pound them well into a rough paste.
I then moved this paste into a bowl, tossed in the fish cubes and prawns and mixed them well. I then added the remaining half of the chilli+garlic+ginger and the lemon juice and mixed them well with my hand. When I saw that the fish and prawns were coated well in the mix, I covered the bowl with a plastic wrap and left in the fridge for half an hour.

While this mix was being marinated, I copped/cut all the vegetables.
By the end of 30mins, I heated sesame oil in a wok and fried the prawns and fish mix. When it was cooked, I moved them out on a plate.
Then, in the same wok I heated sesame oil in a wok over high flame. I swirled the wok around to ensure that the oil had coated the wok well till the top, rather than just staying settled at the bottom.

When the wok was hot and ready, I tossed in the vegetables and cooked them by tossing intermittently, which went on for around 3-4mins or so, after which I added in the rice, mixing them into the vegetables. The rice that I used was leftover rice from yesterday. They were in the fridge for the whole night.

When I felt that the mix was ready, I added the fish+prawns, some salt, ground black pepper, soy sauce and vinegar and mixed it well. Mixed it for a minute and the dish was ready!

The experience:

I was very happy with what I cooked. This recipe is good. It had a very authentic Chinese taste. The rice went well with the Fish Manchurian that I had cooked along with this. Find the Fish Manchurian recipe at:

Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment