Sunday, May 24, 2015

The trip of a lifetime.

Dil dhoondta hai phir wahi fursat ke raat din
Baithe rahe tassavur-e-jaana kiye huve
It is not even ten hours since I dropped my BFF at the Schiphol Airport, and I am already missing him like hell. I am aboard the second leg of my return journey, on a near empty flight from London to Abu Dhabi, and it hurts to see an empty seat next to me. He chose to fly an early flight to London this morning and preferred to stay back for the night. I hope he is having a good time.
What I spent, was one of the best escape journeys of my life since those good old college days. Spent three extra long twenty hour days with a best buddy, whom I have known for twenty five years now. Attended consecutive gigs by Gods, whose music I have been fan of since I started listening to music. Drove through one of the most beautiful country sides, got hashed and lap danced. Had a chance meet up with a very sweet bhabhiji, who exhumes sweetness that is more akin to that of a badmaash and kamina bhaiyya, in Europe, reminding me of how we met for the first and only time, bumping into each other some twenty odd years back on the Andheri Bridge, as she walked tugging along one of my buddies from CREC. It was all so good; what could I have asked for more?
What could I have probably asked for more? I did. I hoped to meet up with a chuddi-buddy whom I knew since childhood and with whom all links were lost since 1989, the year I finished school. A buddy who was, and I believe is still more than a brother. Yet, alas! I couldn't meet up with him as his work didn't permit. If we had, this would've definitely been the best three days of this lad's bachelor life. That way God is great, He never gives you everything in one shot. He makes you yearn for it, and keeps reminding you of this beautiful couplet:
'Har kisi ko mukkamal Jahan nahin milta,
kisi ko zameen, tho kisi ko aasmaan nahin milta'.
So true. So so true, and so for next year, I am already planning another trip into this beautiful land with my wife and kids. Maybe, I will meet him. Maybe like Ghalib once said, next year I might get lucky -
'Dekhiye paate hai khushaakh butoon ki kya Faiz,
Ek Brahman ne kaha hai ke yeh saal accha hai'
Yes. I hope the remainder of this year, and the next year, and all the coming years are harbingers of good fortune, better revelations and best times yet, in general for everyone. God Bless!
I am now, strictly of the opinion that each growing up man must make this similar kind of 'Pilgrimage Trip' or at least a 'Trip to Amsterdam' with a best buddy with whom he can open up and share all his secrets. Especially for all the men who are from this part of the world (read: the country where I grew up and the region where I currently live and work), such a trip to Amsterdam is at the least a must! I feel so because it has taught me few very important life lessons:
1. It is important to have a best friend outside your immediate family, someone in whom you can confide all your fears and secrets. Someone who will not judge you but listen and empathize. Someone who will not comeback, yet always be there.
2. Have a good work-life balance. Spend time with your dear ones. Respect their individuality, their uniqueness.
3. Respect nature. Use only what you want, do not waste. Don not spoil it. Be closer to nature all the time. Return back what you can.
4. Respect your health. Run, but if you can't, then walk! Exercise. Keep fit.
5. Make time for yourself. You are primarily a living being, not a machine.
6. Be grounded all the time. Shun superficiality. Give away what you have in excess, including food, money, time and love.
7. Never be judgmental. Respect others for what they are. Do not impose your ideas or ideals on others. They may look and act different, but actually it is you who is weird!
8. It is okay to break the rules, as long as you are not hurting anyone (include yourself)
9. Do not abuse. (All forms included)
10. Sex is not necessarily the culmination of love. It is just a necessary evil. A necessary evil like eating, drinking, security, respect, potty, soo-soo or breathing.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment