Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Butterflies in my Tummy

Cheese and Omelette Sandwich



Serves One
Total Calories - 900 
Ingredients:

Classic Bran Bread – 4 slices
Egg – 2nos
Butter – 10gms
Cheese slice – 2nos
Oil – 2tbsp
Ground Black Pepper – ¼tsp
Cinnamon powder – ¾tsp
Mayonnaise – 10ml
Tomato Sauce – 7ml
Mustard Sauce – two drops!
Food Colour – Green – 1/8tsp
Salt 

How I cooked it:

The Omelette

I whisked the eggs and milk into a frothy and evenly coloured mix. This process requires rigorous whisking for around 30 seconds to a minute or so depending on the process that one would use for whisking. I’d whisked it in a steel glass using a fork, which took me around a minute. Midway the whisking, I added the Ground Black Pepper and Cinnamon powder to the mix.

Then, I heated oil in a Skillet on low flame and poured in half of the beaten egg mix spreading it throughout the Skillet. As the omelette was getting cooked, I swirled the Skillet to ensure that the mix had spread evenly and not remained concentrated on the centre and sprinkled in some salt.


When done, I moved the omelette on to a plate, where I cut it into two equal parts.

The Sandwich

I placed the first piece of omelette over a slice of bread, on which I placed a Cheese slice and later sandwiched the Cheese Slice with another piece of omelette and bread over it.







  







I then heated some butter over the same Skillet and toasted the sandwich in this.




The Artwork

I used a butterfly shaped cookie cutter to cut the sandwich into shape.




For the sauces, I used tomato sauce with which I made the flower petals and mustard sauce for the core. For the stem and leaf, I used mayonnaise mixed with green colour.  





















The experience:

This was designed for a kid and that’s why the taste was more on the sweeter side, very cinnamon-ey and sweet.  For an adult this is just an okay sandwich. I did add some ground pepper to it, just because I’ve decided that I’d have pepper in each of my dishes, just like a signature. I prefer my eggs with onion and lots of pepper and, if I had to make it again just for myself I’d do it like that.

This one will definitely work great if you make it for the kids. I am planning to do this on a weekend when my boys are back from the vacation.

All in all the ingredients amount to 1000 calories. But since it has been cut out in the shape of a butterfly, I have reduced 10% towards the wastage (this goes into the Cook’s tummy). So, in net a good filling breakfast that will give your kid 900 Calories.

If this is being served as an evening snack, you can make the sandwich lighter by 250 calories by just taking off the cheese slices. But if your kid is an active kid, I’d recommend leaving them as it is. In short, add or take out as you like.

Since I was the cook as well as the diner, I got to eat the whole stuff including the wastage. My tummy soaked the sandwich with a large glassful of Acai Berry Juice, which gave me an additional of 250 calories. All in all I am energy packed today with 1250 calories in my belly.


Cookie cutters of various sizes are available in the baking section of most hypermarkets. So try something similar for your kids. Maybe an animal shape or a cartoon character and do let me know how your kids reacted to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment