Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Keralam.

Part 1 - God's own Country

Golden Showers and Trumpets adorn each lawn,
Yawning over naked walls of Laterite stone.

Here fungi finds its serene abode,
and every drop of rain recites an ode.

The land of majestic tuskers, and birds galore.
For the earnest, there’s wildlife, plenty to explore

Dragonflies on rocks, along beaches that glow,
In this land my friend, life is slow.

Lazy mornings on a hammock, lie each,
followed by rummy and toddies by the beach.

Crisply fried shrimps and mussels too,
where each moment is akin a heavenly déjà vu.

God’s Own Country, this land is for sure,
and every moment on its lap, is so pure.

Where religions collide and live in harmony,
Her tongue, The Malayalam, is a soulful symphony.


My Keralam,
The most beautiful art thou
You, my mother, my dearest,
How dearly I love you.


Picture lifted from my cousin, Binoy Bennet's FB Photo Album - 'My Homeland'

Part 2 - God's own People

I see buxom lassies and their supple midriffs,
 sway to the breeze in their kasavu veshtis

Their luscious eyes, deep as the sea
and that playful smile hidden deep beneath

distract bare-chested lads as they play kalari
and that Theyyam face, goes fierce ruddily.

Yes friends, what they say is true,
If the land is beautiful, its people are too.

My Keralam,
The most beautiful art thou
You, my mother, my dearest,
How dearly I love you.


2 comments: